Thursday, October 15, 2015

Milk supply 101

Being a 'veteran' breastfeeding mum (and it's only my second time now, probably my last... but breastfeeding is the kind of experience where one time is enough to turn you into a self-proclaimed guru XD), I never doubted my milk supply this time (I had lots of doubts the last time), although I usually only get 50ml to 120ml per side per pump... a great variation and very little compared to some of my friends who can get like, 200ml? Unlike them, I do not have a huge stash of frozen milk in a separate standalone freezer, but I pump just enough each day for my baby to drink on the next day.

A mummy-friend just shared this on Facebook and I find it quite an insightful read for nursing mothers: Low Milk Supply 101

Mine don't leak. My girl can latch the whole day, and I let her. I'm not worried, and thankfully I'm not wrong to skip worrying about my supply. Anyway, from the article: "You don’t need to wash and sterilize a pump every time you use it. Pop it in a plastic bag and put it back into the fridge between pumping sessions. 10 minutes is ample."

That's exactly what I do at work. =) I pump twice a day, 10 minutes each time, with my Medela Freestyle dual-pump. And I pop the whole box of pump parts into the fridge between the pumping sessions. Call me lazy, but I'll do whatever I can to save my time and my sanity, without sacrificing on my baby's health. It is legit okay to just leave them in the fridge. If your milk can stand in the fridge for a day and not turn bad, why not a pump stained with nothing more than your milk?

This was yesterday afternoon, pumping after work. My drink and my baby's drink.
And that's the box I use to carry my pump parts around and to keep them in the fridge.

Added later in the same day: Found this interesting comparison of human, cow and goat milk on the internet - Human Milk vs Animal Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment